How plaster-based compounds lose water
In hot weather and low humidity, excessive evaporation or absorption by hot plasterboard can cause dry-out before the essential setting process takes place.
Absorption by porous surfaces
Chemical reaction (hydration) to form fully set, hard gypsum
Here are three tips to help you avoid jointing issues this summer:
2. Allow longer-setting products to stand for 30 minutes after mixing so they set soon after application
- • Avoid using plaster-based compounds with long setting time, eg. BaseCote 90, SHEETROCK® Easy Sand™ 210 & Cornice Adhesive 60.
- • Schedule tape jointing during cooler parts of the day
- • Close windows and doors to avoid drafts
- • Wet down surfaces immediately before applying
- • Ensure ample plaster under the tape and quickly skim coat over
- • When using mechanical tapers, avoid excessive pressure or runny mixes